• So my dear darlings, in this topic you are permitted to speak in English, Dutch is forbidden, unless you don’t know a word ofcourse.
    Making mistakes is fine, and you can correct others as long as it’s in a nice and polite way. Please experiment and don’t be afraid to make mistakes.
    The idea of this topic comes from this topic which was opened by the amazing Klaar.
    ~
    Oftewel:
    In dit topic mag je geen Nederlands praten, alleen Engels, tenzij je een woord niet weet natuurlijk. Je mag anderen op fouten attenderen zolang dit op een vriendelijke en nette manier gebeurt.

Have fun!

[ bericht aangepast op 4 jan 2018 - 23:56 ]

~ When you fall asleep tonight, just remember that we lay under the same stars ~

Treason schreef:
    Do you hate it as much as I do when American/English people don't know the difference between their, they're and there?

Reminds me of one of the classes I had during my semster in the USA. It was about technical editting and a part of that is grammar. Eventhough I was the only non-native in English, I got higher grades than a lot of the native speaker.

To the stars who listen — and the dreams that are answered

Hehe hello y'all. Another language topic, allthough this one should be easier :Y)
    @Cheryl that fact is just a little sad, they're native speakers? Like: hellooooo? :'D

Sidera nostra contrahent solem lunamque

Hi everyone! I haven't read all of the pages, but oh well. (:

Azlain schreef:
    (...)

Reminds me of one of the classes I had during my semster in the USA. It was about technical editting and a part of that is grammar. Eventhough I was the only non-native in English, I got higher grades than a lot of the native speaker.

When I was still a translation student, a few Belgian students (French-speaking) always came to do their internship in Maastricht and they scored higher on Dutch tests (about grammar etc) than the Dutch natives did and they even knew rules we didn't know existed, so it's actually quite common, I think. (:

Take risks and conquer your fears.

Azlain schreef:
    (...)

Whut? :8 That is just sad.

~ When you fall asleep tonight, just remember that we lay under the same stars ~

Neverbealone schreef:
    (...)Whut? :8 That is just sad.

It's not that weird, though. Natives usually go on their instincts whereas non-natives don't and thus speak less fluently, but study the rules by heart, so it's not uncommon that they get higher scores on grammar tests. We never really got in-dept grammar of our native tongue (like, would you know or be able to explain when to use "er"? I've literally tried it a thousand times and I just can't), but they have. It's not that sad.

[ bericht aangepast op 5 jan 2018 - 11:16 ]

Even as we grieved, we grew; even as we hurt, we hoped; even as we tired, we tried

To be honest with English I also just follow my instincts haha. When I write in English I never really keep the rules in mind and I never did.

To the stars who listen — and the dreams that are answered

Azlain schreef:
    To be honest with English I also just follow my instincts haha. When I write in English I never really keep the rules in mind and I never did.

This actually. I never really studied the rules. I just watched series when we had exams, and the last two year of high school were oral English examinations so :'D

I just went for a little jog and omg I'm so tired

oi, suzy

Azlain schreef:

English is a little different, probably. I never keep the rules in mind when speaking English either, because at some point you speak or are able to understand a language without keeping them in mind. That's mainly because English is a huge factor in the daily lives of everyone, including children. Since we've been exposed to the language at a young age, you kind of get the rules implanted (by lack of better words) in your brain, like with your mothertongue (to a lesser extent, of course, but still). By keeping on practicing it, you don't need the rules.
    But some things, such as the way to write words, have just been stressed so many times by teachers that those, too, have been "implanted" or implanted even more than they already were, which leads to us almost never writing it wrong. With natives, I don't think that's being done, so it's not that unusual that they're writing some things wrongly more often but still, of course, are a lot more fluent.

Even as we grieved, we grew; even as we hurt, we hoped; even as we tired, we tried

Shelby schreef:
    (...)
    This actually. I never really studied the rules. I just watched series when we had exams, and the last two year of high school were oral English examinations so :'D

One time I had a big test of English grammar and French grammar at the same day, but I didn't have enough time for both, so I did French and I still got 18/20 for English, I believe. It was a test on the tenses and usually when I study them I score less because I start doubting everything I write. :')

Klaar schreef:
    (...)

One time I had a big test of English grammar and French grammar at the same day, but I didn't have enough time for both, so I did French and I still got 18/20 for English, I believe. It was a test on the tenses and usually when I study them I score less because I start doubting everything I write. :')

Haha. my English now is like 90% oral and 10% Vocabulary... I didn't study for it and got 63%, because the fucker didn't allow synonyms :'D

Lucens schreef:
    (...)
    Omgg, take me with you :o

Sure, get in my suitcase, love. ^^

'I don't want to leave her just because she makes me a better person.'

2+2=4-1=3 quick maffs mans not hot you get me?

Als ik een dichter was dan was ik dichter bij je.

_TARDIS_ schreef:
    2+2=4-1=3 quick maffs mans not hot you get me?

no i don't hahaha
    makes me think of something i found online yesterday btw
    i laughed my ass off :')
    a mathematic limerick!

[ bericht aangepast op 5 jan 2018 - 12:30 ]

Do you guys have an English accent when you talk? People always laugh when I pronounce words like 'water' because it sounds overly English :/

Maflodder -> Rozenthee / "Would you like an adventure now, or shall we have tea first?"