• So my dear darlings, in this topic you are permitted to speak in English, Dutch is forbidden, unless you don’t know a word ofcourse.
    Making mistakes is fine, and you can correct others as long as it’s in a nice and polite way. Please experiment and don’t be afraid to make mistakes.
    The idea of this topic comes from this topic which was opened by the amazing Klaar.
    ~
    Oftewel:
    In dit topic mag je geen Nederlands praten, alleen Engels, tenzij je een woord niet weet natuurlijk. Je mag anderen op fouten attenderen zolang dit op een vriendelijke en nette manier gebeurt.

Have fun!

[ bericht aangepast op 4 jan 2018 - 23:56 ]

~ When you fall asleep tonight, just remember that we lay under the same stars ~

Plunkett schreef:
    (...)

To be honest, when watching Georgie Shore, I think the same thing. :'D I am quite good at English, but I just can't understand what they're saying. :'D I know it's all about booze and sex and drama, but still.

But other English accents I love. Irish and Scottish and Welsh and aahh. I wish I could speak Irish/Welsh, though.

This.
    But you can make any accent sound tacky, though. Like, I have friends from different places in England and it's just like here in The Netherlands; you speak how it's easy for you, how you've learnt from people around you. Just like we adapt, they adapt.
    To me it's funniest when my friends are angry, I couldn't possibly copy that! (':

To love another person is to see the face of God. - Victor Hugo

Corday schreef:
    I've got a rather strange accent. When I lived in England, everybody said I didn't have a Dutch accent (such a relief), but that they couldn't place my accent either. Oh well, I'm just glad I don't sound Dutch. (:

I think my first priority is to get rid of the Dutch accent, and continue from there. I'd love to have an Irish accent to be honest - I think it sounds adorable.

Plus, I usually HATE it when people try to speak with a British accent, because most of the time they fail so hard and it makes me cringe. Only spreak with a British accent if you actually can and otherwise don't even bother (doeg)

[ bericht aangepast op 5 jan 2018 - 14:36 ]

There are poems inside of you that paper can't handle

Dissonant schreef:
    (...)
    I think my first priority is to get rid of the Dutch accent, and continue from there. I'd love to have an Irish accent to be honest - I think it sounds adorable.

Plus, I usually HATE it when people try to speak with a British accent, because most of the time they fail so hard and it makes me cringe. Only spreak with a British accent if you actually can and otherwise don't even bother (doeg)

Hear, hear!

To love another person is to see the face of God. - Victor Hugo

Oh boi yess accents.

I don't even know what kind of accent I got at this point. Apparently it isn't Dutch, since people believed me to be a transfer student, but I wouldn't say British either. I'd love to have a British accent, though.

"A good book is always good, no matter how many times you've read it."

Dissonant schreef:
    (...)

You're not the only one with that attitude, but it still makes me so sad whenever I hear people say that, tbh. :/ As an au pair in England I'm friends with loads of foreign people that speak English to varying degrees - but we're all here, 50 minutes away from London, with people speaking in a perfect "BBC accent" all around us. But the moment one of the German girls for example speaks with that same accent and her German pronunciation shines through, all the snobs at the pub laugh at her for her "fake poshness", and I just think it's pretty rude? My accent is so clear at this point that people don't question me anymore, but that's taken me years of "faking it" as well. And they're trying, you know.

Ik kijk uit het raam, naar de lucht en de zon, ik loop naar buiten en flikker van het balkon.

I agree with Jip. How can you ever have a specific accent if you never try? And well, laughing at somebody because of their accent is rude. When I arrive in the US on Monday, all jetlagged because in my head it will be around 3 am when I finally arrive on campus, and I speak to a native American, I wouldn't like them laughing at me. First of all, I'm tired, all shaken by those experiences, but secondly, I can speak English well and I am very fluent, but my accent may not always be the 'right' one, if there even is a right accent.

I, Tahani Al-Jamil, shall do my level best to make every event too much.

I understand that they're trying and it also depends on the environment. The situation is different when you're abroad in an English-speaking country, but when my friends try to for example, it still makes me cringe. Can't help it :X

There are poems inside of you that paper can't handle

Dissonant schreef:
    I understand that they're trying and it also depends on the environment. The situation is different when you're abroad in an English-speaking country, but when my friends try to for example, it still makes me cringe. Can't help it :X

Yeah, but are we only allowed to practice our pronunciation in an English speaking country? We can't learn a language if we don't speak it. Not everybody has the opportunity to study on the other side of the Northsea or Atlantic, so where would they have to practice? I'm sorry, but I can't understand your point of view.

I, Tahani Al-Jamil, shall do my level best to make every event too much.

Have you guys ever watched a film without subtitels? I did yesterday and it was really easy, to be honest. I thought I could’t understand a word, but that was quite okay! And it didn’t feel difficult or uncomfortable.

Maar allemaal dragen we in ons hart een inwendig Ithaka.

I watch a lot of foreign movies without subtitles, because for me that's the most intense form of training xd

Heaven is a place that we all have

I always watch movies or tv shows with subtitles, both English and Dutch. It’s not because I can’t understand the language but it’s just easier when there’s a heavy accent, or advanced English (for example when they start talking science and use words I’ve never heard of) or someone in the room is talking.

Maflodder -> Rozenthee / "Would you like an adventure now, or shall we have tea first?"

Ristridin schreef:
    Have you guys ever watched a film without subtitels? I did yesterday and it was really easy, to be honest. I thought I could’t understand a word, but that was quite okay! And it didn’t feel difficult or uncomfortable.

Either without subtitles or with English subtitles. I usually do put them on, because my concentration span is about as big as a goldfish's, so I need them not because I don't understand the English or foreign language they're speaking, but because I get distracted too fastly.

Even as we grieved, we grew; even as we hurt, we hoped; even as we tired, we tried

I always watch with English subtitles, because I don't hear very well and because of that I have to stay really focussed and I'm too lazy for that (I use Dutch subtitles for Dutch series as well), but I never watch English series or films with Dutch subtitles, because, as a translator, I start to translate them and that's really, really annoying.

Take risks and conquer your fears.

Ristridin schreef:

We did that in class. It was quite easy.

~ When you fall asleep tonight, just remember that we lay under the same stars ~

I loved it that when I was in the UK for 3 months (aug-nov '17) some people said that I spoke English really well already and some were confused as to why I still had to go to the UK with my level of English (':

"Nice is different than good." CORPSEHUSBAND > SCORPIO