• So my dear darlings, in this topic you are permitted to speak in English, Dutch is forbidden, unless you don’t know a word ofcourse.
    Making mistakes is fine, and you can correct others as long as it’s in a nice and polite way. Please experiment and don’t be afraid to make mistakes.
    The idea of this topic comes from this topic which was opened by the amazing Klaar.
    ~
    Oftewel:
    In dit topic mag je geen Nederlands praten, alleen Engels, tenzij je een woord niet weet natuurlijk. Je mag anderen op fouten attenderen zolang dit op een vriendelijke en nette manier gebeurt.

Have fun!

[ bericht aangepast op 4 jan 2018 - 23:56 ]

~ When you fall asleep tonight, just remember that we lay under the same stars ~

FireKeeper schreef:
    Do you guys have an English accent when you talk? People always laugh when I pronounce words like 'water' because it sounds overly English :/

I lean to British English with my accent, according to my teacher a couple of years ago. It's also because that's the accent we were taught in

Sidera nostra contrahent solem lunamque

FireKeeper schreef:
    Do you guys have an English accent when you talk? People always laugh when I pronounce words like 'water' because it sounds overly English :/

Noo, I don't. I have an international study with people from Germany, England, Belgium, Ukraine, Lithuania, etc, and it sounds as if I am so full of myself when I try to speak with an English accent. I think it will be different after studying half a year in Scotland, then I will probably adapt to the Scottish accent and noone will understand me here. >.<

'I don't want to leave her just because she makes me a better person.'

FireKeeper schreef:

I used to have sort of Irish accent, because I grew up next to an Irish/Dutch couple and my neighbour would speak English to her kids whenever she didn't want us (my brother and I) to listen in. And I couldn't fucking stand it, so I taught myself English from a pretty young age. :')

Now I've got a rather strong "posh" BBC accent, because I live in Winchester and Winchester is basically just "het Gooi" of England, which sounds ridiculous when I'm in the Netherlands, but at least the people here think I'm a native speaker.

Ik kijk uit het raam, naar de lucht en de zon, ik loop naar buiten en flikker van het balkon.

FireKeeper schreef:

A few years ago I had to do an oral exam and even though I had a blackout, I did a good job. The teacher and classmates complimented me on my slightly British English accent.
          Wish I could do a typical American English accent, though. Like Texan, or something.

To love another person is to see the face of God. - Victor Hugo

I don't know what kind of accent I have, but dear God I hope I don't sound Dutch. I try to speak with an British accent, but then it feels like I am just trying too hard. On Monday I'll leave to study in the US for a couple of months, so I'll probably adapt.

I, Tahani Al-Jamil, shall do my level best to make every event too much.

Am I the only one prone to other accents? Like when I watch something British, I'l switch to that accent, if I watch something American, it'll slightly change. I have the same with Dutch accents too.

I've got a rather strange accent. When I lived in England, everybody said I didn't have a Dutch accent (such a relief), but that they couldn't place my accent either. Oh well, I'm just glad I don't sound Dutch. (:

Take risks and conquer your fears.

Shelby schreef:
    Am I the only one prone to other accents? Like when I watch something British, I'l switch to that accent, if I watch something American, it'll slightly change. I have the same with Dutch accents too.

Hahaha me too! My accent usually is more British, but after watching something American, it's gone for a while :'D
    Especially when reading something in English aloud, like stories, my British accent gets heavier by the second.

Three words, large enough to tip the world. I remember you.

Shelby schreef:

Slightly, but I believe the American accent (combined with the Flemish accent, of course, 'cause my accent usually is a mixture between those two) always prevails. I feel so poshy when I try to speak British English. :')

Even as we grieved, we grew; even as we hurt, we hoped; even as we tired, we tried

I just find British English to sound so tacky ohmygod

Heaven is a place that we all have

I don't speak English often, so I don't know what accent I have. But I hope I sound British when I do speak English. Maybe I should practice more, lol.

oi, suzy

Klaar schreef:
    (...)

Slightly, but I believe the American accent (combined with the Flemish accent, of course, 'cause my accent usually is a mixture between those two) always prevails. I feel so poshy when I try to speak British English. :')

I really wonder if you hear my Flemish accent in my English :'D Lool and here I am, with my British accent haha, am I posh now? xD I love all the non posh English accents A LOT tho. Like Scottish and Irish. :Y)

taeh schreef:

To be honest, when watching Georgie Shore, I think the same thing. :'D I am quite good at English, but I just can't understand what they're saying. :'D I know it's all about booze and sex and drama, but still.

But other English accents I love. Irish and Scottish and Welsh and aahh. I wish I could speak Irish/Welsh, though.

I, Tahani Al-Jamil, shall do my level best to make every event too much.

taeh schreef:

Haha I think American English has less depth than a British accent. :Y)

This topic I need oml.

"A good book is always good, no matter how many times you've read it."