• hello,
    We (me and Knowledge) have to make an English assignment where we have to start a discussion in English on a subject we know much about. we have to copy all reactions to our post and participate in the discussion.
    so we really need your help by this.

this is the topic:

which book series is better: Harry potter, Twilight or the Hungergames? and why?
    give good arguments about why you chose your choice.

thank you very much

LightRose and Knowledge

Ps. Please comment in English

[ bericht aangepast op 18 jan 2013 - 10:27 ]

You learn a lot about people when you listen to the songs that mean something to them

> titel veranderd vanwege te veel hoofdlettergebruik

If you had never come out of the blue, I would've stay

Harry Potter omdat het gewoon fucking awesome is en ik houd niet zo van vampieren ;3 -ik heb THG nog nooit gelezen/gezien dus daar kan ik niks over zeggen-

Shit happens but pee happens a lot more.

Hmm, I don't really think that's a good comparison, for the simple fact that Twilight and Harry Potter and The Hunger Games aren't really alike. The genre is too different to compare them.That's why I, almost never, participate in discussions where the 'Potterheads' and the 'Twi-hards' are taking the lead in which book is best. Harry Potter and The Hunger Games are Adventure books. Twilight is more romance. I think they are all good, it depends on what you like more.

But okay, choosing. My favourites are still Harry Potter and The Hunger Games. I just liked the writing style more, and the subject. The imagination that brought up the book is magnificent, and everything seems to be worked out. Twilight is more about Romance, less about adventure and action, and that is a part that pulls me towards a book.

Hope this helps!

Tijd voor koffie.

Twilight. Persoonlijk vind ik dat verhaal het beste.

Bad decisions make good stories.

I don't know, I love Harry Potter because Jk rowling made a new world with wizards and all kind of magic stuff in it and everyting is really good written. Very detail like. I also like the Hunger Games, because of all the layers in the books. I also absolutely adore the Peeta/Gale thing, but that is not the main fact of the book. It's kindoff what could happen to us, because we also have the kind of world of that, but much less powerfull government. It could turn out to something very bad, if we let things go.

SLOAN.

Harry Potter, for sure. Because in the Hungergames and Twilight there is this (sub)plot about a girl who has to choose between her best friend and this "new" guy. Also, Bella from Twilight appears to be a Mary Sue to me and Katniss has a really weird way of thinking. I also think that the story lines of those two got worse in the second, third and in Twilights casue fourth book.
    Harry Potter had more characters, there was more diffrence between them and you saw them changing with the books/years. They went to huge things, but also little puberty things I also experience. And I like the thought of living in a world where there's a secret world hidden in, full of wizards and stuff.

If a writer falls in love with you, you can never die

Twilight, de rest heb ik nog steeds niet gelezen. :')

"I believe that marriage isn't between a man and a woman; but between love and love." - Frank Ocean

I have to say that I love all three of the series. But if I really had to choose, I'd go for Harry Potter, simply because it has been a big part of my childhood for a very long time. I grew up with it, read them before I went to sleep and I feel like they helped form me into the person that I am now. Harry Potter is also my favourite because the HP series helped me read more and like reading. This doesn't take away the fact that I truely love the Twilight Saga Series and that I enjoyed reading every bit. This also counts for the THG Tilogy. It's just that they came in a later fase of my life, that they don't mean as much to me as Harry Potter.

[ bericht aangepast op 17 jan 2013 - 14:14 ]

The odds are néver in our favor.

Harry Potter, because the magic and the way it's written. There are no mary-sue's like Bella from Twilight.

26 - 02 - '16

Eluveitie schreef:
    Harry Potter, because the magic and the way it's written. There are no mary-sue's like Bella from Twilight.

"Some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again.” - C.S. Lewis

I've read all three of the series and found that you can't really compare them to one another. But if I must choose, I would probably go for a shared first place. That would be Harry Potter and The Hunger Games, both writers created a whole new and different world from the one we know and the books really capture you along the way. Both protagonists really grow as the story continues, and both have a nice style of writing. Twilight, however, isn't exactly what you might call a "good" book. The main-characters are all too perfect and even though Meyer gives Bella (the protagonist and major Mary Sue) her clumsiness and tries to come off with it as a flaw, everyone knows it's actually because she wants things to happen, and it comes in handy. Also Meyer has written the other characters because she needs them there, not because they might play a bigger part later in the story, like Neville in Harry Potter or Lavinia, the red-haired Avox. Thus, my conclusion; The Hunger Games and Harry Potter are my favorites, while Twilight was actually just a waste of my time.

Also, some of the English I've seen here so far is actually pretty bad...

We'll still love each other, forever and always. <3

Harry Potter, because -indeed of what @eluveitie writes- of the magic and the way it's written. The feeling you get when you read it, I will never get when reading Twilight.

Not every fairy tales ends with: and they lived happily ever after - Prince Harry of Wales

I prefer Harry Potter, as every time you go through the story you see new things. The fact I also really, really like is that you really grow up with the characters. You get to know them from a very young age and it is really wonderful to see them grow throughout the story. The character development is brilliant. For me this is just as much in the movie as in the books. Also, almost every (important) character has their pro's and con's. They aren't just flat characters, they are very capacious.

I also liked the Hungergames very much though. But for the reasons I just mentioned I consider the Hungergames not as good as Harry Potter. Some aspects the Hungergames may contain too, but not as much as Harry Potter does. Though I love the originality of the Hungergames. It's never been written before. And above all, there's lots of tension in there and I just love the way it's written.

And I must say I didn't like Twilight at all. No offense to people who do like the books, though. But the subject of the book has been used way too many times before. It's just another story about vampires and lovers who can't be together, again. From my perspective it's not original in any sense.

[ bericht aangepast op 17 jan 2013 - 18:21 ]

I believe in imagination, because what I can't see is infinitely more important than what I can see.

Only read HP 1/3.

No growth of the heart is ever a waste

Eluveitie schreef:

Don't walk. Run, you sheep, run.